Some people seem to struggle each day to find contentment or a happy way of living, while others easily face each day with spirit. Have you ever thought about which type of person you are? Or how this might describe those around you? There's value in surrounding yourself with people who know how to lift their own spirits – which means they'll probably lift yours, too! It's one of our favorite tips for learning how to be happier.
1. Happiness is contagious: One of the best ways to find happiness is to find those who know how to nurture and create their own happiness, and share it freely. Spend time around these people and you’ll find yourself seeing the world differently.
2. Laughter is a great way to bond with others: A great way to connect with others is to share laughter or spend time having fun with them. Watching how someone reacts to a funny situation, and feeling yourself pulled into the good humor, is a great way to bond and get to know each other better.
3. Less complaining is good for everyone: We all know life can be hard. We all have our struggles. But isn’t it refreshing to spend time with people who don’t waste time and energy complaining? You can almost feel your spirits lifting around someone who is willing to see the good in things.
4. Learn coping strategies: We all have our strategies for dealing with hard days and rough times. But it can’t hurt to take inspiration from those around you. They may have ideas you haven’t considered. Better yet, you might be invited to join them! Their evening walks or bookstore wanderings may become your new favorite outlet on stressful days.
5. We become like those we keep closest: There's an old saying that we become like those we choose to hold closest. Look around at your inner circle of friends and confidantes. Are they who you would like to become? Do you admire and respect them? If not, perhaps you should consider why you don’t and open your circle to new inspiration.
It’s worth the time it may take to consciously surround yourself with people who can create goodness for themselves, and those around them. Take a look around you and see – do you seem to be drawn to happy people? Why or why not?
Jen Taylor is the founder of Mocha Creative Works. Communications director by day, freelance wordsmith by night, you can usually find her drinking coffee or escaping to the mountains.