Trying to get a healthy dinner on the table after a day of working/parenting/shuttling kids to activities can seem like a monumental task and grabbing takeout often seems like your easiest go-to solution. You want to feed your family meals they enjoy, that are good for them, but take little time and prep. I'm here to help! Here are 10 of my go-to healthy meal ideas that taste great and that you can get on the table in no time:
1. Tacos. Tuesdays are our busiest days, which is why we instituted Taco Tuesday. I buy whole grain tacos and wraps and we load them up with salsa, lettuce and tomatoes. Good, and good for you, and the beef cooks up in less than 10 minutes.
2. Oven roasted turkey breast. This one cooks a little slower, so I like to make it on the weekends when we're doing stuff around the house. Grill some asparagus to go with it, and enjoy a tasty (and healthy) dinner.
3. Grilled steak. When I buy steak, I put it in a marinade immediately and freeze it in a plastic bag. On the day I'm going to grill them, I take the steak out the night before and place it in the fridge to thaw. I get home, grill the meat, toss a salad, and that's it.
4. Cashew chicken and broccoli. Stir fries in general are a quick dinner, and my whole family loves this one.
5. Rotisserie chicken. I don't know how grocery stores do it, but it's cheaper to buy a spit-fired chicken than a raw one that you have to bake at home. I'll often do the meal deal which includes two salads and a bag of buns. Healthy, fast, and inexpensive.
6. Slow cooker ribs. I'll prepare what I can the night before, then get everything into the slow cooker in the morning. We get home at the end of the day, and dinner is served.
7. Chicken Souvlaki. I'll place the chicken in marinade the night before and leave it in the fridge. We get home, the chicken goes on the grill, and I toss together a Greek salad. YUM.
8. Slow Cooker Pot Roast. The slow cooker is your friend. My recipe is simple: One frozen roast, two cans beef broth, one package onion soup mix, 1 bottle of beer (optional), baby carrots and chopped potatoes. Toss everything in the slow cooker for eight hours. Done.
9. Grilled salmon. Fish doesn't take long to cook, and is so, so good for you.
10. Turkey lettuce wraps. So tasty, so quick and easy.