Everyone has the same answer to the requisite "How was your weekend?" question come Monday morning: "Not long enough!" But there are lots of ways to trick yourself into feeling like you got a long weekend even if it was only a 48-hour affair. Try them all and it might even feel like a mini-getaway!
1) Don't forget Friday: The week is long and exhausting, we get it. But if you're not planning something fun for your Friday night you're missing out on a key weekend extender. Too tired to go out? Make it a family movie night. Give yourself a break and get takeout and have a picnic on the living room floor. Anything to mix up the routine and relax.
2) Don't hit snooze: Not varying your weekday and your weekend wake-up times by too much helps your body rhythms regulate and gives you more hours in the day. Sure, sleep is important, but losing half a day to snooze-bum status makes your weekend seem supremely short.
3) Plan something fun: Having something to look forward to -- whether it's lunch with a friend or time for a quiet walk alone -- is a huge happiness booster. An over-scheduled weekend can have the exact opposite effect, so it's important to know what amount of activity is right for you and try (most of the time) to stick with it.
4) Start a tradition: Create a 'weekend starts here' ritual and stick with it. It can be something simple like picking up flowers on your way home. The symbolic act will remind your brain to leave behind the hectic work week and take a well-deserved break.
5) Don't think about it: If you're stressing about what's happening on Monday or how soon Monday is coming then Monday will be here before you know it! And don't dread Sunday nights either! Use your weekend to be present and live in the moment.